Friday, January 13, 2012

Bonnie and Clyde



One of my favorite films is Bonnie and Clyde (1967) directed by Arthur Penn, starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway.  The film was beautifully shot, pushed boundaries in terms of the portrayal of violence and sex in film, and the screen was graced by the charming Warren Beatty, and pretty Faye Dunaway.  And of course I can't forget about Faye's Wardrobe, which although wasn't historically accurate, with the shorter length skirts and lower cut blouses (hey they had to keep with the times, it was made in the 60s, it's hollywood, and let's face it, Faye was a fox), I simply adored all of her outfits.

Like many or most films based on true events, it was romanticized, but upon doing more research on the crime duo I came across some poems written by Bonnie, most of which were written while she was in jail.  And as it turns out, Bonnie was in fact a bit of a romantic, and I like how her poems have a bard-like style, especially the one entitled "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde," which is a poem depicting their exploits.  Yes Bonnie Parker was a criminal/accomplice, but when I read her poems, and think about how head over heals she probably was over Clyde, I can't help but harbor a soft spot for her.

I'm obviously a romantic too.

"...Then I fell for the "line" of a "junker",
A slim devotee of hop,
And those dreams in the juice of a poppy;
Had got me before I could stop.

But I didn't care while he loved me,
Just to lie in his arms was a delight,
But his ardour grew cold and he left me;
In a Chinatown "hop-joint" one night..."

- excerpt from "The Street Girl" by Bonnie Parker

photo one source.  photo two source.
poem source.

No comments:

Post a Comment